The responsibility of a King in Israel is to see the glory of God manifested.
Saul –no concept of temple
David– sacrifices/ stores up for temple
Solomon – builds temple but without any sacrifice to himself
Period of the monarchy – neglect reformation and so lose glory
Mal 3 – Lord comes suddenly to his temple.
Jesus = true king whose own body = temple is destroyed and raised Luke 24:26, 32 to restore the glory of God in the people
1. Jesus to Saul “Why do you persecute me?” (Acts 9:4)
2. Jesus to Ananias to Saul – “how much he must suffer for the sake of my name”
3. Theme of suffering for glory: Paul “filling up what is lacking in Christ afflictions for the sake of the church” (Col 1:24) [ toil 1:29 = work of 2:4 = struggle and energy of the cross ] cf. Eph 3:13 my suffering is your glory ; 2 Ti 2:10 endures suffering for the sake of the elect …salvation and eternal glory 1 Pet 5:10 suffered a little while…God of all grace…called you to eternal glory 2 Cor 1:5 share abundantly in Christ’s suffering …comfort
Col1:27 riches of the glory of this mystery, which is Christ in you (= Gentiles as part of the temple), the hope of glory = glory of the temple filled with the riches of Christ
To be filled with all the fullness of God/height breadth, length, depth Eph 3:19= fullness of God Col 1:19; 2:9
4. The afflictions Paul fills up = Isa 53:4 “smitten and afflicted by God”
God does willingly afflict Lam 3:33
5. The sufferings/afflictions Paul enters into for the Church = those of Mark 15:34. This is a willingness to enter into the “unwillingness” of the FATHER, MIRRORED (Col 1:15 image of the invisible God; “seen me seen Father”) in the struggle of Gethsemane over the cup, weight of divine anger against sin. This is a willingness to bear the Father’s pain.
Suffering is the index of glory.
6. Jesus = both vessel of divine wrath and vessel of glory Rom 9:22-23
7. The secret of praying fathers is the same as the secret of praying fathers= Gal4:19= suffering for another’s glory
8. The afflictions of Christ and Paul e.g. “carrying in the body the dying of Jesus” 2 Cor4:10 cf. John 2 = destruction of the temple of their bodies so the body/temple of God may be filled with glory